My favorite blogger on otaku and manga language, Bangin, has recently released a second typology for seme (攻め) and uke (受け). Apparently new types of Boys Love roles are constantly being created and new words emerging.
The beauty of these top/bottom terms are their endless variety, unexpected reversals and melodrama. Here are two of my favorites. Follow the links to read both posts with over a dozen types:
ワンコ攻め[wanko-zeme]; Sounds cute, doesn’t it? Well, ワンコ[wanko] means a dog here(but it’s not correct) It derives from the fact that they howl ワンワン[wan wan “bow wow”]. At any rate, dogs are so obedient to their masters but they also fawn upon. Yes, no matter how cold 受け is, how many times 受け refuses to accept him, he never gives up, and eventually it comes to pass. It sounds like a relationship between 先輩受け[sempai-uke] and 後輩攻め[kouhai-zeme]. 先輩 means a senior at a company or school, and 後輩 means a junior as well. 先輩 is more superior to 後輩. In such a relationship, 後輩 becomes 攻め…the position is switched, isn’t it?
姫受け[hime-uke]: 姫[hime] means a princess. This type of uke is surrounded by several semes(more than two tops). I can’t think of a better example. Maybe Shibuya Yuuri? He can be paired up with Gunter or Conlad…but he ends up being uke.
These two posts also provide an evolving typology of BL (Boys Love) literature:
- リーマンもの[riiman-mono] or office settings;
- 学園もの[gakuen-mono] or schools;
- ナマモノ[namamono] or slash fiction about movie stars, singers, sports stars and “vocal actors”;
- イロモノ[iromono] or minor characters;
- 兄弟もの[kyoudai-mono] or brothers, often step-brothers;
- ML or men’s love, versus boys or minors;
- ロボやおい[robo yaoi] or robot love;
- 匂い系[nioi-kei] or “smells” type, meaning no sex but plenty of homo-erotic scent (like Water Boys, Ouran High-School Host Club, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, Prince of Tennis);
- 健全[kenzen] or sound, meaning Normal Love (NL);
- 微裏[biura], an abbreviation of bimyou ni ura, which means “slightly porno” and should be no more than kissing
Wow. Thank you, Bangin sensei!
Writing as someone almost entirely untouched by anime and manga, I am certainly inspired to start reading. What about you?:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::